ALWAYS SOMETHING GOING ON

With me around there are hardly any dull moment. Smiles are what I like to see, laughter is what I like to hear and Hugs & kisses are what I like to feel.Sometimes it seems like I have so much going on all at once. No matter what I always remain smiling because the Lord watches over me.

Friday, January 18, 2008

Kids Gone Wild!!

I have more real talk because lately I had another quite startling epiphany. But I need to touch upon a different matter right now. But before I start I want to say that I am not trying to offend anyone so please try to keep an open mind about what I am saying I do understand if you disagree but I'm just giving it to you from my point of view.

My daughter changed schools this year. She now goes to school close to her father. He lives in what I guess is considered the suburbs. I live in the city. My daughter used to go to Catholic school. She was there for 3 years and she has never came home and told me any type of wild stories like she has been recently telling me about what goes on in her school. She is in the 8th grade which means she is only in junior high. But not only does she keep track of what goes on in her school she also keeps track of what goes on in the two high schools surrounding her school. She is able to do this because her best friend goes to one and her step brother goes to the other. The schools are predominently white. So this is a new experience for my daughter and for me. In her old school there was mostly black and spanish kids. Once again, at the risk of offending anyone, these white kids are off the hook! The stuff my daughter tells me really has me concerned. There are plenty of kids smoking marijuana and even mixing it with wet. Now I'm not saying that same thing does not go on in the city schools where there are mostly black kids, but these kids are also taking xanax's. There was a 16 year old girl in the high school that recently overdosed on these pills. Another thing that seems to be popular with them is acid. WTF!! My daughter said this is the first time she has even heard of some of this stuff. I believe her because I know I can't watch her every minute of every day, but I am willing to bet my life that she has not been exposed to these things until she got to this school, and this is considered aa good school. There are a couple of girls there who have been cutting themselves. What type of shit is that? What really gets me is how the hell can your 13 or 14 year old child be getting high on a regular or even semi-regular basis and you as a parent not notice it. I am totally baffled by that. How much freedom do these kids have? Then there are quite a few kids that have tatoos and their parents have no clue. Who the hell is taking these kids to get these tatoos. I mean I know kids are going to get away with some things, but my goodness! The really bad part is it's not just in my daughter's grade. There are younger kids doing the same things because they are following their brothers or sisters. So it's just going right down the line

I told my daughter do not get around them dam kids and loose her mind. I just don't want her to get in that kind of environment and see these kids running wild and decide that's something she wants to try. Because for those who have followed my blog,you guys know I will stomp a mudhole in my child, not think twice about it and dare someone to say something.

I talked to my daddy about my concerns and he assured me that my child knows better than that. He told me that right from wrong has already been instilled in her. She knows she has a strong family foundation and she won't fall into that crowd. I really hope he is right. But regardless I still worry. I know I can't keep her sheltered. I'm actually not trying to do that. Me and my daughter talk a lot about a little bit of everything. But the things that have been going on in the schools are a bit much for me to digest. I just try to keep the lines of communication between me and my daughter open so she can feel free to talk to me about whatever. And ask me questions about anything she doesn't quite understand.

6 Comments:

Blogger Nina said...

That's the best thing you can do. I wish my mom was like that. Even now at (almost 22), I will let her believe I am a virgin and have never known a man outside of familial relations...

January 20, 2008 9:08 AM  
Blogger TrinaBeingTrina said...

I hope that by the time my daughter is that age that we are best friends and our conversations can be "no holds barred".

January 20, 2008 5:22 PM  
Blogger 2 Dollar Productions said...

I believe it. All of it. I went to high school with some of that, however, I had several ex-clients whose kids hit it first-hand. The thing I understand the least is the cutting, which is flat-out bizarre to me.

But I do think you nailed it because if you have a good family foundation then you've still got a good chance for success.

January 21, 2008 6:52 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Just as you bloggers know you will stomp a mudhole. Your child does too. Thankfully she also knows right from wrong. Because you are close she is willing to talk with you which is what most of these kids need, just someone to listen to them, pay attention to them. I think she will be fine. Not because she fears you, but because she wouldn't want to do anything that would disappoint you the family or herself.

January 21, 2008 8:33 AM  
Blogger Angel said...

i would listen to your father. as long as the foundation has been laid, your job has been done. every person, young or old, has a mind of their own. as a parent, all you can do is trust that you have prepared them to use it correctly...

January 22, 2008 10:32 PM  
Blogger Ladynay said...

Daddy said it best.

She's been raised well so far and she knows right from wrong and the consequences of the wrong choice.

January 23, 2008 9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home